Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Concussions, Football and Common Sense by Corte Madera chiropractor Dr Harte

The sport and the industry that is football is under attack. It is said that the serial concussions have lead to later serious dementia, and the occasional violent episode.

I am not denying that playing football involves a lot of injury. But it's not all to the brain, directly. What the medical geniuses don't figure is that the head is attached to the neck. This is true for football players, too. So, while the head is smashed thousands of times, so is the neck. Of course, so is the rest of the spine. The result? Massive vertebral subluxation, up and down the spine, affecting not just the spine itself, but every aspect of health. And that includes higher functions of the brain.

I. myself, from years of nasty neighborhood football in the Bronx, where I grew up, have massive spinal damage. I ended up the my fifth lumbar vertebra in two pieces (instead of one), and my neck so degenerated that it was very near to fusion by the time I was in my twenties. (Because of decades of chiropractic care, instead of proceeding to actual fusion, the degeneration has gotten somewhat less.)

Then, there's all the drugs that pro ball players consume, both prescribed and recreational. These foreign chemicals, especially over time, will have a profound effect upon overall health, and, especially, brain function.

Many pro teams, football included, have team chiropractors. I must wonder, though, to what extent they are used, especially since they have to work with the orthopedists. And, I must wonder how much chiropractic care football players get after their careers are over.

Don Harte, D.C.
Marin Authentic Chiropractor
Liberator of Innate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts